Basic proofreading involves:
- correcting any errors of spelling, punctuation and grammar;
- removing typographical problems such as ‘stray’ spaces that will affect layout;
- ensuring style and presentation are consistent and coherent throughout the entire document.
Editing provides all the above, but in addition we will:
- improve fluency and readability;
- remove repetition;
- check facts where possible;
- offer suggestions to improve clarity and structure where necessary.
All our changes will be clearly marked for your final approval.
You will receive two copies of your text.
– The top copy will be ‘clean’ and ready to upload or send to the printers, with any editorial comments and suggestions clearly flagged in the margins.
– The working copy will have all the same comments, but the deletions and substitutions will be clearly ‘tracked’ in red – so that you can see what we would alter and why.
If you choose not to accept our amendments, a click of the mouse will restore your own words.
In the case of teaching materials, our editors will ensure that the vocabulary is age-appropriate throughout.
For texts translated into English from French, German, Dutch or Spanish, we will cross-check against the original document.